Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Barbecue

Barbecue. Cue. BBQ. Bar B Q. I really don't care what you call it, but this is my recipe. Now I prefer Eastern North Carolina BBQ from a pig pickin' but since I don't have a cooker nor a good Eastern NC BBQ recipe, this is a good second.

Now my mother will claim that this is HER recipe. Hello, Becky, I doubled the brown sugar, so it is mine now. Bite me, Mama!

For the meat, I like to cook a 4 to 5 pound pork shoulder butt in the crock pot on low over night with about a cup of water and seasoned with greek seasoning. My mom cooks it in the pressure cooker but I am scared I'll lose an eye with one of those things. You just take the meat, remove all bone and fat, and then shred the rest with forks or your hands (I won't judge).


Barbecues

1 stick butter (or margarine if you're my mom)
1 onion chopped
3 Tbs vinegar
1 cup ketchup (yes ketchup, don't be a hater)
1 cup water
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp black pepper

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until it starts to boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 30 minutes or until the sauce "gets thicker" (thank Becky for that). Add the meat and cook until warmed through.

No comments: