Thursday, November 13, 2008

Secret Pumpkin Pie recipe

The women on my mom's side of the family have always made the best pumpkin pies (well except for my Aunt Darlene, but that's ANOTHER story). They all obviously used the exact same recipe and had always referred to it as the "secret family recipe".

Now pumpkin pie is one of my all-time favorite foods. I will even eat it for breakfast the morning after Thanksgiving, it's best that way, ice cold from the fridge. I'm a pie purist too, while the rest of the family uses Cool Whip, I enjoy it plain the way nature intended. Mmmm...

My first Thanksgiving living on my own, I decide to make my own pie. I called my Aunt Carol and asked for the secret recipe. She said sure, no problem, but that I HAD to make sure I used Libby's pumpkin, no other would do. Luckily I had a can of Libby's so I was ready to go and I told her that. She said really? Right in front of you? Turn it over.

The family's secret family recipe was the one from the back of the can. Oh, but wait, they use pumpkin pie spice instead of the separate spices! My Aunt was still laughing at me when I hung up on her.


The Brammer Family Secret Pumpkin Pie Recipe (thanks Libby's)

Ingredients:

3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice (can use more, it's a personal thing)
2 large eggs
1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY'S® 100% Pure Pumpkin (not the pie mix!)
1 can (12 fl. oz.) Evaporated Milk
1 unbaked 9-inch (4-cup volume) deep-dish pie shell (I use the Pillsbury ready made pie crust)

Directions:
Mix sugar, cinnamon, salt, ginger and cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.

Pour into pie shell.

Bake in preheated 425° F oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350° F; bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 2 hours. Serve immediately or refrigerate.

No comments: