Monday, November 10, 2008

Black Bean soup

I used to make black bean soup from the recipe on the back of the Progresso black beans can. However, I am currently unable to find a can of Progresso black beans and I didn't copy the recipe.

I did a google search and the following is what I found. I think that is right, but I am pretty sure that I chopped the celery and carrots really fine and I didn't use the salsa OR the corn. 'Cause I think corn in stuff is yuck. To me. I have issues.

Oh and an immersion blender is your friend. It is much easier to use (and clean) than a blender for blending the beans.

Update: Found the recipe and yes, it is the same. W00t!


PROGRESSO BUONA SERA BLACK BEAN SOUP

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 medium stalk celery, chopped (1/2 cup)
2 medium carrots, chopped (1 cup)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp chili powder (I used 1 Tbsp)
1 Tbsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp pepper
3 cans (14 oz each) chicken broth 4 cans (15 oz each) black beans, drained, rinsed
1 can (15.25 oz) whole kernel sweet corn, drained
1 jar (16 oz) mild picante or salsa

1. In 4-qt saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook onion, celery, carrots and garlic in oil 5 min, stirring occasionally. Add chili powder, cumin and pepper, cook 1 min. Stir in broth, 2 cans of the black beans and the corn. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, place remaining 2 cans black beans and the picante in blender or food processor. Cover and blend on high speed until smooth. Stir into boiling soup mixture.
3. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 15 min. Serve with chopped cilantro, if desired.

6 servings

No comments: